Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Reflux and Zantac

My littlest daughter has been having many signs of reflux so the doctors tried Zantac for a week. I didn't think it was helping she still was having trouble sleeping and would wake up screaming in pain. She would arch her back and lay all over us. Her voice was also hoarse and she was hardly eating food.

When we went back for the recheck she prescribed a higher dose of Zantac. I was sure that this would not help and we would need to see a gastroenterologist. I have been pleasantly surprised. The first day on the new dose she was asleep by 6pm and slept on and off until 8am. This had never happened in her life. She started eating again and while she is still hoarse she has been a much happier baby and sleeping better.

Today was her followup appointment and she had gained almost a pound in a week. She is fifteen months old and still weighed the same as she did at 9 months old. This doctor recommends continuing the Zantac for until her 18 month checkup and then we will reevaluate if she can maybe go down to a lower dose.  I hope this means that all my children are on the road toward being healthy. Her sister had been diagnosed at three with GERD and I've been told my dad and nephew have it as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment