Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Trip to the Child Psychiatrist

My two oldest children had been having some behavioural concerns that I felt should be evaluated. My daughter had an obsession with boys and my son seemed to get sad and mad very easily. I wasn't sure if this was normal for their age or if there was more going on. I was waiting in anticipation hoping that this person would understand me and my children and give useful information.

The day of the appointment came. My two oldest children helped me bring in their little sisters and seemed quite happy. My son immediately took his three year old sister to the play area and I held the sleeping baby. They all acted so good. My son sat in the play area reading a book to a younger boy. I was so very proud of him acting so very nice. My eldest daughter sat next to me like a perfect little lady. Her hair was done nicely since she let me do it. My little three year old danced around the room.

We went in the back and I almost felt sad having to relate why we were there since they had all been doing so well. It was nice to see that he had at least read about my daughters issues and she seemed to feel comfortable talking with him. We waited in the waiting room while he talked to her and then he brought us back to explain his initial findings. He told me that while she may be delayed in her learning this is the time to push her because her brain is growing so we want her to learn as much as possible. He recommended some medicine to help her impulse control.

When it was my son's turn I explained to him about my husband's issues with mental health and how much Prozac had improved our lives since he started taking it. I told him I was worried that my son might have some of the sad and angry traits that my husband has and I do not want him to grow up depressed. He wanted to talk to my son so we went back in the waiting room. My three year old did a performance as Elsa singing "Let It Go" from Frozen for the entire waiting room including her ending statement of, "thank-you for watching my show guys." After we went back the psychiatrist recommended that my son get involved in sports like soccer since he has been missing out on friends since we started homeschooling last year. He did not think it seemed like anything major yet.

Sometimes I worry that my oldest two were messed up by us since we did not know when they were little that my husband needed medication to balance him out. He would cycle from normal to hating us about once a month. They had to live through the yelling. While this all seems tame compared to my childhood I do wish that things could have been different. My husband is a kind loving father most of the time who comes home at lunch time and after work. I guess all parents probably worry that they didn't do everything perfect. I just hope that they all grow up well.

No comments:

Post a Comment